Monday, January 6, 2014

C is for,... Curling?

I realize this post might seem a bit misleading as it's not a food adventure but since we actually went Curling yesterday, I kinda think it deserves to be written about.  A C food is coming, I promise!  But really, who goes curling?  Most people don't even realize it's an Olympic sport (since 1998 in Nagano as we learned from Dan, our instructor.)  We went to the Learn to Curl Clinic at Ardsley Curling Club yesterday to try our hand at this weird, ridiculous sport:


First we got to see the set up in the "ice house:


To start, they tape up your shoe on your "sliding foot" so you can slide on the ice in a really uncomfortable deep lunge when you are the "shooter" with the "stone."  Yes, this looks just as silly as it sounds.  Here's an example:





Russ did a great job with this!  Stayed upright, let his stone go at the right time, had a lot of power behind it.  On the other hand, I fell on my butt every time:




Now there is also the "sweeping" part, where you rub a brush back and forth really fast on the ice to create friction and water to basically make the "stone" hydroplane in case  you throw the stone too lightly.  


It's just as silly and funny as it looks.  

Now, I actually got one shot in play and I was super excited because I thought it was in "the house" which would have meant a point for our team!

Look how happy I am!  Alas, it was just out of the scoring zone:





But all in all, it was a great day and a great experience!


2018 Olympics in South Korea,... we're coming for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment