Tuesday, January 28, 2014

C is for Cuban - Agozar Cuban Bistro

It took us awhile but we eventually made it to C!  Last week we finally made it to a Cuban restaurant to continue our culinary trip around the world.

Above:  Photograph courtesy of Agozar Cuban Bistro

Walking into Agozar Cuban Bistro, it's brightly colored, loud, crowded, and feels like you just stepped into Little Havana.  Everyone seemed to be having a great time drinking at the narrow bar and we were led into the back room that was more spacious and definitely more quiet.  We decided to share a bunch of small plates (and a LOT of sangria, which R was kind enough to get for me since he beat me to the restaurant) to get a taste of Cuban cuisine!

Above:  Russ enjoying his Sangria

 Above:  Alambre

Alambre was a grilled shrimp in a mole poblano sauce.  This was a pretty solid dish, a tad bit spicy but a lot of flavor!

 Above:  Camarones Agri-Dulce

Since the restaurant was out of Mahi-Mahi which they used in all their fish dishes, we had 2 shrimp dishes.  This was a sweet and sour shrimp tempura with a pineapple slaw.  This was probably my favorite dish we had, very flavorful and perfectly prepared.

 Above:  Mariquitas

Sorry for the insanely blurry picture, guess I had more sangria than I thought!  The Mariquitas is plantain chips with black bean hummus and guacamole.  Now I've just learned to like guacamole in the last year (I have issues with the consistency of avocados) but I Thought this was really yummy!  The black bean hummus in particular was really interesting.

 Above:  Milanesa

Milanesa is crispy eggplant with goat cheese and a tomato sofrito to dip in.  I liked the combo of the crispy eggplant but it wasn't that flavorful and the coat cheese was a little too crumbly since it was baked.  I thought this would be a favorite but it was disappointing.

Above: Quesedilla de Pollo

The Quesedilla de Pollo was a yummy chicken quesedilla with grilled chicken, goat cheese and a spicy sauce on the top.  It definitely had a big kick to it!


All in all, it was a pretty good meal.  I don't think I would go running back but if you want a fun atmosphere, very reasonable pricing and a bunch of small plates, it's a decent choice.  I'd be interested to try some of their entrees and some of their fish dishes, since it was a bit odd that at 7:30 on a Friday night, they had run out of fish for the night!  As always, here's the obligatory slightly tipsy pic of us after the meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment